- This event has passed.
Bordeaux Summer School – Philosophy in Biology and Medicine
12 June | 12 h 00 min - 16 June | 17 h 30 min
Between June 12th and 16th 2023, PhilInBioMed is organising an interdisciplinary summer school dedicated to “Philosophy in biology and medicine”. For this, 20 young scholars (PhD students and post-docs) from the fields of philosophy of science, the life sciences, and medicine will come together and learn to use interdisciplinary methods to address conceptual issues in scientific research.
Course leaders will be present to highlight practical examples of interdisciplinary partnerships from their career, and to advise and interact with participants throughout the week. The programme will also include different formats such as group work, ‘speed dating’, and individual discussions, designed to further interactions between participants and course leaders. The summer school will start with a conference by Elliott Sober (University of Wisconsin), laureate of the 2023 PhilInBioMed Award. Discussants are Kevin Lala (formerly Laland), Ford Doolittle, and Silvia De Monte.
This summer school is a unique opportunity for young researchers to develop new interdisciplinary approaches that will benefit them throughout their career. Participants will not only learn about specific concepts and scientific advances, but they will also learn to take a new look at their own subject of research.
- Andy Ewald: Johns Hopkins University, USA
- Silvia De Monte: Ecole Normale supérieure de Paris – French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), France, & Max Planck Institute, Germany
- Fridolin Gross: University of Bordeaux, France
- Hannah Kaminski: University of Bordeaux, France
- Jan Pieter Konsman: University of Bordeaux – CNRS, France
- Lucie Laplane: Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne – CNRS, France
- Maël Lemoine: University of Bordeaux, France
- Thomas Pradeu: University of Bordeaux – CNRS, France
- Lauren Ross: University of California at Irvine, USA
- N° participants: 20
- Language: classes are conducted in English. Candidates should have a B2 level of English or equivalent.
- Location: lectures take place on the Pessac campus of the University of Bordeaux.
- Participant profile: the summer school is designed for Master students, doctoral students and post-doctoral fellows from the fields of philosophy of science, life sciences, and medicine.
- Applications: a short CV (2 pages maximum); an abstract (1,500 words maximum) of your research project, detailing the project’s connection to both philosophy and the biological and/or medical sciences.
- Deadline: March 31st, 2023.
- Participation fee:
- 500€ for Master and doctoral students (including lunches, coffee breaks, accommodation and social programme costs).
- 700€ for post-doctoral fellows (including lunches, coffee breaks, accommodation and social programme costs).
- Grants: qualified individuals can be exempted from the fee and in some cases the organisers can grant financial support for travel, provided that no other means of funding exist. To apply for an exemption or financial support, participants should send a letter of motivation along with their application, detailing why they would like to participate and why they would like to be exempted from the fee or obtain financial support.